Everyone has been busy with personal projects. Anja is working on the A&S Championship, since Letters of Intent were due Sunday night. Loren’s had to stop on lucets and bone carving, since he’s dealing with wrist issues, but that means he’s been finding and dealing with pieces of largesse that haven’t been finished.
Marcus is working on pins. Amy has her new spool knitter. (None of the “home stuff” has any pictures this week!)
Marcus and Anja are heading for ARC this coming weekend, so Herbs won’t happen and they might not make it to Project Day. Other meetings as usual.
- Metal Night – has been put on hold for the time being in favor of….
- Couer de Val fight practice (in Corvallis, Tuesday evenings)
- Sewing Time – Aat Ancient Light 6-8pm
- Herb Bunch – At Ancient Light, Saturdays, 11am-1pm
- Project Day – At Ancient Light, Sundays, Noon to 6pm
- Next Potluck – 10/23
Here is the direct Portfolio link which has all the past Project Day reports and various projects, original here: https://housecapuchin.wordpress.com/portfolio/ and new one here: https://housecapuchin2.wordpress.com/portfolio/
Sewing Time – …was just Amy and Anja again. Amy’s new spool knitter is working really well and she came up with some samples. Anja’s is still working on the same projects.
Anja’s Blackwork project – You might remember seeing several weeks ago that Anja got a copy of Ein Neu Modelbuch by Nicholas Bassee, a 16th century pattern book. She’s been transcribing/redacting a number of patterns from the book, plus adapting some for Holbein-style blackwork in a period manner and then turning them into clipart. Trying to group with the originals. A bunch went to the Echoes for use in that newsletter.
Permission is given to use these only for SCA publications and must include the following: (C)M. Bartlett, email@example.com, please contact artist for permission for other than SCA publication use.
Herb Bunch – (Your scribe says, “I’m going to put the oat/greens pottage here, since we didn’t have anyone for the workshop and this is what I worked on.”)
The pottage got started right around 11am with 3 cups of water and one of oats. Greens were all in by 12:15 and added another cup of water at 12:45. I also turned it to low at that point. Too much salt! I calculated salt for a full crockpot and had only 1/2!
What I was starting from: Secrets of the Castle 1 at about 45:30 and 49 minutes some of the cooking starts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZWTwJ_5Ag
- Borscht – Lureya
- Bread – Loren
- Cheese – Amy
- Butter – Loren & Anja
- Oat Pottage – Anja
- Pickled Eggs – Loren & Anja
- Swimming Sausage ( previously made sausage patties cooked in wine)
Potluck – We ended up eating around the coffee table up front, since it was still too crowded in back. Nobody was in garb because it was too warm. We started late again, because Stella had car trouble and Loren got nabbed by his landlady on the way back, so took awhile. Anja worked on her blackwork and we talked about the foods and about places around the world that we would like to visit. Amy did *not* like the sausage. …and Anja’s dishes were too salty for most, although Loren wanted to add salt!
Sabrina stopped in after everyone else headed home to chat for awhile and we talked about projects. We decided to take her some of the leftovers for Monday’s lunch!
Oat and greens pottage – Anja
I didn’t write this out as I went, so this is as I remember it, nor did I measure much, which occasioned the overage of salt, but as best I can tell…
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (could not find whole oats, locally)
- 2 grocery sacks of the following, washed, which equated to about 2 cups, once de-sticked and chopped, and about a cup once wilted.
- Sage (chopped)
- Parsley (chopped)
- Sorrel (rolled and chopped)
- Dandelion tops (just the tips beyond the rib) (chopped)
- lettuce (leaf) greens (chopped)
- radish greens (chopped)
- cabbage start tops (chopped)
- Chives (chopped)
- Beet tops (seeds and all!) (chopped)
- basil (de-sticked and chopped)
- Oregano (de-sticked and chopped)
- Thyme (de-sticked)
- Rosemary (de-sticked and chopped)
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 palmful of salt (I used a whole palmful and it was far too much!)
- 4 cups water
- Start the water and oats in a crockpot on high.
- Wash, de-stick, chop and otherwise prepare the rest of the ingredients but the salt and onion, adding to the pot as you go.
- Chop onion and put in last.
- Let cook on high for about 3 hours total.
- Serve after 3 hours with edible flowers (I used nasturtiums) on top or let cook until ready for a meal up to 3 hours more.
Note – 3 cups of water will let the edges begin to burn at around 2 hours. I added enough cup at that point, which ended up with a rather gummy texture. Maybe 1/2 a cup more?
A candle-hanger scroll! – http://falconbanner.gladiusinfractus.com/2016/09/23/laurel-scroll-for-cathus-the-curious/
Burnt cheese casts light on 3,000 year-old family drama – http://sciencenordic.com/burnt-cheese-casts-light-3000-year-old-family-drama
Anja, Amy, Loren, Marcus, Lureya, Stella, Sabrina, Gudrun (v), Will (v)
Largesse Item Count – (includes gifts, auction items, etc.)
- ASXLVII = 24
- ASXLVIII = 88
- ASXLIX = 794
- ASL = 2138
- ASLI = 253 + 164 = 417 plus 2 necklace sets, 3 sewing kit (in process), 1 wooden animals, 1 pouch, 1 doll, 48 mug tags? (re-count)
- Total as a Household = 3298 handed off